Thursday, February 24, 2011

Our Favorite Hangout

{Scarlett}

Scout and I have many things in common. We love fashion, we love books, we love travelling, we love writing, we love double entendres. We love plotting our futures. And more often than not, while we're scheming, talking and kibbitzing, we're drinking coffee. Sometimes together at my mom's kitchen table, or at Scout's kitchen table, or at a booth at the Sutton County Steakhouse.

I'm sure it's no surprise to any of you that we love to hang out at coffee shops. Today, we're going to treat you to a mini-tour of our favorite coffee joints. Mine is 2 blocks from my new apartment in a ritzy suburb of Washington, DC.

It's called the Bayou Bakery. (Yes, that's snow on the awning. Curses.)

I love this place. One the one hand it's funky and upscale because, duh, this is Yuppie Town, so it has to be stylish. On the other hand, it has down-to-earth Southern touches that make the Texan in my soul jump up and scream with glee. Example: the people at the table next to me are eating buttermilk biscuits with honey. There's New Orleans jazz piped through the speakers. There are light fixtures made out of Bell jars. Love.



It's Sunday morning, the perfect time to sit and relax before heading to church. Here's what I treated myself to:

We've got my order of beignets* piled with powdered sugar,** chicory coffee in a French press with lots of half and half and raw sugar, and my Message bible for a little morning inspiration. I love my Message bible because it's a translation that's easier (for me) to follow than some others and really brings the Word alive. A gem from this morning:

My grace is enough, it's all you need.
My strength comes into its own in your weakness.

Not pictured is my bible bookmark: a picture of Baby Scout from her 1st birthday party invitation. It makes me smile every time I open it.

I've got a little more time left here to finish my coffee and read the Washington Post and New York Times online.  I love lazy Sundays!

*Beignets are Cajun/French donuts made famous by Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans.
**Ask my dad sometime what happens when you inhale a pile of powdered sugar before you take a bite.

~Ciao!

{Scout's hangout coming soon!!}

1 comment:

  1. My moms ex use to make us beingnets. Oh sweet heaven do I miss those!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments that are both wild AND precious.

Special note to our real-life friends: Please don't use our real names!