Sunday, December 19, 2010

Bloggy Book Club

{Scarlett here}

Good evening, lovely ladies. My friend Gator suggested we start a bloggy book club so we could all talk about what we're reading. I think it's a GREAT idea. It's also funny that she asked. I happen to be reading what is going to be the inspiration for my next few blog posts.  It's called:

Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why it So Often Sucks in the City, or Who Are These Idiots and Why Do they All Live Next Door To Me? By Jen Lancaster.

Now I'm one of those people who gets really caught up in books. Sometimes I start giggling while I'm reading, such as: in a room full of people, in the backseat of a car during a road trip, in bed before I go to sleep, or at the cafe at Barnes and Noble. But I don't think I've ever almost spit coffee from laughing so hard like I did in my own living room this afternoon as I was reading this book. This woman is HYSTERICAL. Yes, it's a light read about nothing of real substance. But it's so funny and entertaining that I can't put it down. She makes fun of Carrie Bradshaw for trying to glamorize city life. She has this cynical, sarcastic spin on what it's really like to live in the city. I love it. It's also refreshing to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that city life can be a real pain sometimes.

What about YOU? What are you reading these days?




2 comments:

  1. I immediately ran out to my favorite half price bookstore and bought Bright Lights, Big Ass. And I managed to read a few chapters! So funny!

    So now I'm reading THAT, and How to be a Pack Leader AND Rehabilitation for the Spine... NO WONDER I can't find time to blog!

    Have you read the Steig Larson trilogy? The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo series? AWESOME. When you come visit ATX we can trade some lit ;) Bring an extra suitcase. I know a certain friend/sister that lives in your area that shares my EXACT (and excellent) literary taste that could also benefit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use goodreads? While not quite a bloggy book club, it does have its perks.

    I just finished reading 127 hours (basis for the movie, which I haven't seen). Fantastic read!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments that are both wild AND precious.

Special note to our real-life friends: Please don't use our real names!