Sunday, January 9, 2011

Invites

{This is Scarlett}

Today a friend emailed me to ask if I'd like to join her for a bike ride to Mt. Vernon.

Scout, has anyone asked you to bike ride to Mt. Vernon lately?

I'm curious what it would look like if we came up with lists of things we've been invited to in the last, say, 3 months or so and see how they compare. I'm not trying to see who got the most invites or who's the social butterfly, just want to see what people do for fun in the nation's capital vs. the goat capital. You in?

(BTW, my response: "Bike ride? I don't THINK so. But if you ever want to go out for milkshakes or chili cheese fries, count me in.")

~Scarlett's List of Invites~

*Dinner and a play
*House party (2)
*Networking happy hour at place that serves my *favorite* Vermont cheddar and apple pizza
*Another happy hour
*Starbucks
*Black Swan at swanky DC theater that serves both alcohol and wasabi peas. (I had a glass of merlot and, in a nod to tradition, popcorn.)
*Blackfinn, a bar in DC, for my b-day. Thanks for that free bottle of champagne, Blackfinn!
*The Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse, a movie theater that shows old movies and serves pub food
*National Tree Lighting Ceremony. If ONLY I'd gotten tickets!
*Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear. SO much fun with 80,000 of my closest friends.
*Starbucks. Yes, sometimes I go twice a day.
*The Galleria. If only I had $600 to spend on a purse... :(
*Hot yoga

Hmm. Maybe there are more but this is all that springs to mind right now.

Bye from DC! ----

{Scout coming atcha'}

First of all, I can't believe you turned down riding bikes on Mt. Vernon.  Shame on you.  ;)  Your list of invites is impressive and sounds like an absolute blast.  My turn:

~Scout's List of Invites~

*Ugly Christmas Sweater Bunco*

And there you have it, Folks!

Dude, I'm not even kidding you.  Although my list of invites is very small, I did have a couple of hotel stays this month!  You know how it is, Scarlett.  If you really want to do something, you gotta get the hell outta' Dodge.  And I did.

Mom, the baby, and I spent two wonderful days shopping in San Antonio for the Christmas Holidays.  We stayed at a beautiful resort that over looks the city.   There is something about San Antonio that makes me love being a Texan.  I think is a mixture of the History, the Tex-Mex culture, and the overall friendlyness of the city.

The next hotel stay was in downtown Dallas, TX.  The Big D!  It was perfect.  The hotel was only ten percent occupied.  We didn't see a soul!  Across the street was a super urban dog park and playground.  This playground was straight out of Yo Gabba Gabba.  I think I had just as much fun playing on the equipment as the daughter did.  A huge, huge, huge Christmas tree art made of metal and lights adorned the middle of the park.  Randomly, Christmas music would blare from hidden speakers.  It was almost eerie, but in a cool way.  I will forever cherish this memory:  P is freed from her stroller and happily navigating the concrete jungle.  Suddenly, the Christmas music blares from out of know where.  She freezes.  I giant grin emerges, and then she starts shakin' her little booty, right there, in down town Dallas.   The husband and I join in.  We must have been a sight to see!

  Most of my invites where family related.  Here is how we differ, Scarlett.  I'm sure we both pine for what the other has from time to time.  I know I would love nothing more than to throw on some heels and drink something fizzy from the rooftops.  I'm sure you would love nothing more than to get out of work, drive half a mile to your Mom's house and enjoy a meal she prepared just for you, just because.

  Next time I'm eating my mom's oven BBQ'd chicken, or sampling fried wild turkey at the ranch from the hunting cabin, I'll think of you.  But only if you silently raise your fizzy drink from somewhere swanky and fab for me.  :)

Bye from 90 miles north of Mexico and 60 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart!






No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments that are both wild AND precious.

Special note to our real-life friends: Please don't use our real names!