Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Whatcha' Wearin'?

  Hi!

  I got an amazing text from Scarlett at 6:30 this morning as I was dressing for work.  It made me smile for two reasons:
1.  Because she was somewhere amazing living her dreams...which makes me very happy for her.
2.  Because I was standing in my bathroom in an AWESOME Betty White t-shirt that was her Christmas gift to me.  The girl knows me well.  :)

  For Texas standards, it is FREEZING this week.  No snow, just bitter (for us) cold.  My campus administrator has allowed us to wear jeans every day this week if it helps keep us warm. I got to thinking, I wonder what fab outfit Scarlett is rocking today?  A phone message later we have a blog assignment: "What I Wore".  "What I Rocked to Work Today".

  A little background info.  I am an elementary physical education teacher.  Before you conjure up images of chain smoking, tube sock wearing, trucker hat sporting, gym teachers, please keep in mind, THAT IS NOT ME!  But seriously, I can't believe I am paid to play with kids.  I love what I do!

  I don't always love dressing the part.  I love fashion.  I love clothes.  I do not love gym clothes.  I do what I can to make it my own.  Here is what I wore today:

The Boots!  A Christmas gift from my father.  I feel like one bad, mammajamma in these beauties.  I literally kick open doors when I wear them.  I don't smoke, but I'm dying to stamp out a cig with my flying peace hearts.   I only wear boots one way, always outside my jeans, a la riding boot style.

 I wore my hair in a messy bun and wrapped this adorable knitted head wrap complete with a knitted rose.  Another awesome Christmas gift from my Aunt.  The red hoodie is by Under Armor and is issued to the coaching staff.  I love this hoodie.

The bag is Louis Vuitton's Tivoli PM in classic monogram.  This was a very unexpected gift from my Mother.  She knows I would have NEVER bought this for myself.  I'll carry it for the rest of my life!


Look closely.  Why yes, those are Western pinup beauties.  A belt I borrowed from my sister to wear with my favorite pair of seven year old skinny jeans.


My favorite thing to wear:  My baby.  I love her.


{Scarlett's turn}

~Hello~ to all of our new followers, and a warm *bonjour* to our friend in Paris! We're so happy all of you stopped by and we hope you keep coming back.

I have to say that putting my photos up with Scout's makes me feel a little bit like I'm trying to race a donkey in the Preakness. She's an immensely talented photographer and has top-of-the-line equipment. I'm a "hmm, I think I got everything in the shot that needs to be in but if not, oh well" kind of photographer and have a dinky digital camera from 5 years ago.

With those caveats in mind, without further ado, I present to you some snapshots of my wardrobe of choice today.

Here we have this:

I had some important meetings today so a collared shirt with a suit jacket was a must. However, I'm not 50 years old nor am I Janet Reno so I added my own personal flair to the typical corporate pantsuit uniform. I've got my popping fuchsia shirt (because I think that bold pink color adds a little je ne sais quoi), a snappy white vest, and a slate grey jacket with black pinstripes and accordion pleats at the bottom in the back (not shown). You'll also notice the snazzy purse that I re-conned from my grandma's closet on my last visit. I think it looks like a Chanel knockoff. (What, you don't raid your grandma's closet?) Also, if the picture were of better quality, you might notice the gold, diamond and sapphire ring that my other grandma gave me a few years ago. (I bet Kate Middleton is jealous of that.) Gold hoop earrings, a necklace with tiny gold beads, and a blinging gold watch complete the ensemble. Oh, so do black wedge heel boots (also not shown because I took them off as soon as I got home).

No DC-in-the-winter look would be complete without the outerwear. I give you this:

We've got my Gap overcoat, my bright yellow scarf from Eastern Market, my wraparound ear-muffs (thank you Mom) and my mittens with removable flaps. All of that almost, almost keeps me warm outside when I'm trudging through snow and waiting for the bus.

And with that, I bid you goodbye from my kitchen in the nation's capital.




2 comments:

  1. LOVE this bolg. What a rockin' stellar idea. My favorite parts:

    1. "I feel like one bad, mammajamma in these beauties. I literally kick open doors when I wear them."

    HA! From one fancy boot lover to another, GURL you are a bad mammajamma and those boots are freaking fabulous. *jealous sigh* ;)

    2. "makes me feel a little bit like I'm trying to race a donkey in the Preakness." (snorted coffee out of my nose)

    3. "my popping fuchsia shirt" (truly was fab)

    4. "What, you don't raid your grandma's closet?" (*jealous sigh* ;) No, but I DO raid my Mom's closet EVERY time I'm home and then leave a few of my things just incase karma is watching... AND I love to sneak a treasure (frame, nik nak, hanging item) from her abundant decor and see if she notices. Which she usually doesn't until she visits my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. OOPS! I forgot to say, MY what a GREAT BABY! Seriously. It was a real close toss up between the LV and the smashingly beautiful Baby Scout in the best accessory contest... ;)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments that are both wild AND precious.

Special note to our real-life friends: Please don't use our real names!